Archive for 2010

It’s all been a bit quiet, but finally parts are starting to arrive!

Colin Satchell and Sandy Brown long 16v inlet manifold:

Anodised Parts

Colin Satchell alternator pulley wheels:

Anodised Parts

Colin Satchell modified wheel spacers, coloured red and blue for nearside and offside.

Anodised Parts

Everything anodised by Colour Anodising, if you have to ask how much you probably can’t afford it. That said they offer excellent customer service and the parts came back with each one perfectly wrapped in tissue paper, brown paper and bubble wrap with each part in a box and then all in a big box! Definitely a want rather than need job, but it will keep the parts from oxidising. The pulley wheels had been fitted and were starting to oxidise already so had to be polished before sending off.

So then it was off to assemble the Jenveys onto the manifold. I’m still waiting for my damaged trumpets to come back from repair, but it’s looking good. Didn’t bother fitting the Fuel Lab FPR, but that’s anodised black too. It’s going to look good once it’s all fitted and the braided hoses get hooked up.

Anodised Parts

15 Years…

Posted: 27th November 2010 by asteriskr in Driving
Tags: , ,

I’ve now been driving for 15 years in which time I’ve:

  • Owned 6 cars
  • Picked up 6 points and had then expunged
  • Crashed twice
  • Run out of petrol once
  • Taken a skid-pan course
  • Driven a rally car
  • Experienced a trackday
  • Test-driven the car of my dreams
  • Never lost the desire to drive nice cars

Update

Posted: 26th November 2010 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Okay, not much action happening but plenty of other things. I am convinced that I passed my driving test before January 1997, but wasn’t on the UK mainland when I took the test (I was offshore on Guernsey) and can’t remember the exact date. My Guernsey driving licence had to be traded in with the DVLA when I came back to the UK, but only shows the date it was issued by DVLA Swansea.

I have had to write to the Guernsey vehicle licencing folk and to ask them to look up the exact date I passed and then I will need to try and get the DVLA to amend my licence to include category C1 (lorries between 3.5 and 7.5 tons), D1 (passenger vehicles for nine to sixteen people) and vehicle plus trailer combinations. The relevance/importance of this comes into play if I want to tow the car on a trailer behind the van.

Carbon Trumpets

Also I have sent some of the carbon throttle body trumpets off for repair. Two of the four were slightly damaged around the lip, but Bic is fairly sure that they can be put right, so I’m leaving it to him and Merv to sort them out. I have spent the last few nights polishing and prepping a pile of parts to be sent off to Colour Anodising up the road in Radcliffe. This includes the inlet manifold which has taken many, many hours. Anodising doesn’t hide any surface imperfections like paint, so you want a good finish before the process is undertaken. Fingers crossed on these bits. The anodising will add some protection to the surface of the aluminium and stop them from oxidising.

Tools

Finally a few bits have started arriving for the next big push on the body work. I needed some brushes for getting into nooks and crannies so I will give these a go. The magnets are for holding panels prior to tack welding.

Gearbox Boxed Off

Posted: 19th November 2010 by asteriskr in Painting, Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , ,

Yesterday before creating a dust storm in the garage I sanded the POR15 Chassis Coat Black topcoat of the gearbox mounting bracket down and repainted it as I wasn’t happy with the finish. Covered it up with a big tuppaware plastic box and left it to dry. I’m satisfied with the outcome – not bad for a brush painted job eh? Artist quality sable brushes for the win!

Gearbox Mounting Bracket

All fitted now and the gearbox is sealed up in a big cardboard box until fitting time.

I Can See the Light!

Posted: 18th November 2010 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Cracked on tonight and starting to find the problems I knew were lurking! I had found some problem rot in the offside wheel arch that I knew would need attention, but tonight I uncovered the extent of the problem. At least I am getting rid of all the black crappy paint that had been coated on the inside of the chassis legs and lower portion of the bulkhead.

Bodywork

Problem areas:

Offside end of bulkhead
Bodywork

I can see the light! Not in a good way – this is the off side inner arch below the engine mount.
Bodywork

Still a long way to go!