Archive for 2016

Rack Update

Posted: 8th July 2016 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Stripped the PAS rack down completely…

Rack

Rack

Then dropped it off last week with RIX Blasting Services who are local to where I work up in the North East and picked it up again yesterday:

Rack

Rack

Last week I also went to North East Motor Salvage and found a suitable 106 shell to donate a sill and collected that yesterday too. They just chopped it out with an enormous Stihl saw.

Rack

Lots of prepping need to get the relevant bits ready for fitting to the shell now.

Brakes Finished

Posted: 19th June 2016 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

The right parts turned up from Bigg Red this time, it’s kit number 204832:

Parts
Pistons were corroded behind the seals, quite a difference between them:

Parts

Brakes back ready for reassembly with polished sliders:

Parts

All back together with a lovely smooth action

Parts

On the steering rack front I managed to get blanking plugs for the two larger ports (M16x1.5 and M14x1.5) but could not find the M12 x 1.0 for the smaller two, so decided to make some out of the OEM banjo bolts:

Parts

With a lick of paint…

Parts

Chopped the recently arrived PAS rack to get the adjuster screw plug out and cut a bit too deep. also even though I turned it less than 1/4 turn, the staked elements had done some damage:

Parts

Some digging revealed BMW manufacture a core drain plug in the M30x1.5 size and at the right 12mm thickness:

Parts

The plastic part has a slip washer attached so I will need to have a think about that for the metal one. Side by side comparison:

Parts

Finally templated up the bulkhead for the pedal box. There is quite a bit to remove for the change over and it is the next job…

Parts

Next Steps

Posted: 12th June 2016 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Frustrating progress, not enough time to work on the body work so trying to get a few other jobs finished. Another steering rack arrived. It’s in a terrible state, but all I need is the tension adjuster plug. Came to undo it and immediately sensed the friction – it’s been staked! So I will probably have to cut the casting to get it out without generating too much heat and melting the plastic…

Photo

This rack did come with a plastic sealing cover over the top of the pinion that the one one off the GTI didn’t seem to have. So rack is disassembled awaiting an appointment with a suitable cutting instrument.

Brakes have progressed from this:

Photo

to this

Photo

to etched and degreased ready for paint

Photo

First coat of enamel is on and drying. I then got around to looking at the new seals to discover I’d order the wrong set.

Photo

Correct set from Bigg Red on the way along with two new pistons as mine had corroded behind the seals.

Found some bargains on the Bay of E to finish off the steering setup:

Photo

Needs a bit of a refresh

Photo

Steering wheel turned out okay. Foam upholstery cleaner to get the grime out. Then a stainless steel wire brush on the Dremel at low speed. Clean again with foam cleaner. Then final finish with a brass brush by hand:

Photo

Silly

Posted: 2nd June 2016 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

So the plan for the top mount bearings did not work out. I picked up a pair of these Meyle top mount bearings which are for a Peugeot Boxer van:

Photo

Although they fit as I had envisaged, from a mechanical point of view the idea sucks so back to plan B, aftermarket top mounts.

Photo

Also started refurbing the brakes – ordered a seal kit from Bigg Red to use when they get built back up after paint

Photo

On the chassis side, here is the near side inner sill from inside:

Photo

The rubber bungs for the fuel lines created the hole in the bulkhead as they came out :rolleyes:

You also have to admire the amount of seam sealer they threw on these early cars:

Photo

Started cutting out the bad bits. Unfortunately worse than I thought.

Photo

Choppity chop

Photo

Photo

The bad news is that all of the previous welding was just plated over the problems…

Photo

So all of this needs to come off so I can do it properly

Photo

Trying to weld new metal to rust old metal? Just whack it with more electricity.

Photo

Having removed about a tonne of filler

Photo

Photo

Welded in the repair section to the floor pan. Having a think about how to tackle the sill as the internal section is shot too.First job will be to remove the previous repair and see what is underneath…

Little Bit

Posted: 31st May 2016 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Not huge progress over the weekend. Finally dressed back all the metal work from having removed the seat rails and cage mounts. I need to test fit the seats again to see if they will clear the reinforcing plate welded on the sills between the two mounting bosses. Found a few patch repairs that I will redo and a bit of rust on the inner sill so some welding needed in any case.

Refurbished the steering arms eventually removing the old rod ends and the arms from the inner joint. The rod ends were a mission to get off, must have been on the GTI for years. Gave the arms a lick of black paint and liberally reassembled with copper slip. Bulkhead needs modding for the PAS pedalbox so that is the next job along with fitting the PAS column. S1 and S2 column mounts are of course different.

Finished the day cleaning off all the tar residue from the floor pan in the footwells. The thick stuff had been chipped off previously but the sticky stuff was left behind and was filthy. An hour with some white spirit and cloths and it was all back to the primer and looking good. I’ll weld covers over the holes in the floor pan.

Ordered a few more bits but waiting for those to come in now. Couple of days work this week then a long weekend. ATE Brake callipers and anti roll bar are next in line for refurb work.