Archive for 2017

Engine Swapped

Posted: 17th December 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Engine’s swapped over time to cut the scuttle…

Progress

Progress

Chopped the scuttle to create a letterbox for the bodies:

Progress

Progress

The bulkhead face of the scuttle is shaped and for what I want to do I needed to smooth it so a bit of chopping and welding needed. With the trumpets in I need to chop another 10mm out of the side nearest the middle and it’ll be spot on.

Progress

Progress

Footrest

Posted: 12th December 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Progress

Footrest is in. It was a mission, but second time lucky on the welded in captive nut mountings. Should make it nice and easy if I decide to run carpet and gives me more confidence than the threaded rivet inserts.

Powder coat is going to need to be re-done. It cracked and peeled off as it was bent to shape to fit the footwell. I’ll get it blasted to key it in and then either epoxy it or get it powder coated again.

The plan had been to mount a dry cell battery to the rear of the footrest. I did that on my white S2 previously but wanted a more secure mounting this time around. The s1 and s2 floor pans are different shapes too.

Progress

Progress

However the MSA are clamping down on putting the battery behind the footrest in cars where there is a passenger seat fitted. If it’s not in the rules yet it will be soon that the battery will need to be behind any occupants in the front. So it’ll be going behind the seats…

Recycling

Posted: 26th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Before I scrapped the silver GTI I chopped this out:

Progress

This was because I had realised the I’d was going to put the EW back in the Maxi so I’d need to repair the cut out I’d put into the chassis and I’d need a donor section. Now when I’ve been working on the Rallye, I’d come to need to buy a pair of the chassis reinforcement plates.

Turns out this is the last one that 106 Parts had for sale:

Progress

By sheer luck I have a pair:

Progress

Drilled the four spot welds and with some careful work with the slit disc on the welds and we have two ready to fit…

Progress

Had a Wash

Posted: 25th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

So suspensions on, steering is connected up. Question has anyone else had any issues with getting the tracking right with Tommy’s steering arm kits? I’ve basically zero’d all of the adjustment out of them and I still have quite a bit of toe in. Without shortening the arms I’m going to have to use thinner lock nuts or something similar to make these work Any one else have any issues?

Progress

Chucked the wheels back on and rolled it outside for a wash, it was very dirty but it’s given me a chance to clean up some of the mud off the bits I need to tidy up. It’s clearly been run without wheel arch liners for quite a long time and now the dirt is gone, it’s clear that there is tar residue all over the place.

Rear beam on this car has been properly slammed, too low for my liking…

Any way the reason for getting it rolling was to turn it around so I can do the engine swap out of the Maxi into the Rallye more simply. Once the engine and box are in I can letterbox the bulkhead into the scuttle.

Paperwork

Posted: 24th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Finally managed to get the paperwork sorted and it arrived back from the DVLA this week.

paperwork

14(!) registered previous keepers which means that there’s some significant gaps in my knowledge…