Archive for 2017

Pedals

Posted: 19th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Bought some Motamec pedal covers, but they weren’t a great fit and being thinner alloy that say a set of Sparco’s decided that they needed to be modified:

progress
Bit of time shaping them:

progress

Did all three:

progress

Drilled the pedals and welded nuts onto the back to simplify fitting. Bit of matt black to tidy them up…

progress

Mounted

progress

Satchshift Fitting

Posted: 18th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Back in 2012(!) when I bought Danny’s Quaife’d BE box off him it came with a Satchshift. At which point I sold my MA version and cracked on with the then project car which was the 16v White S2 Rallye. The thing was that in doing this car, I’d welded in a trimmed down version of the stick gator mounting plate so I didn’t have one and I’d forgotten that. So the starting point for fitting the Satchshift to this car was to make a bit of tube.

I’d not made a tube out of flat sheet before but I found a paint tin that was the right diameter so used that as a form to bend the steel around. Ended up with this – it’s pretty much round.

Progress

Did the necessary prep, which included blanking the original gear lever hole and welded bit of formed tube in.

Progress

Now having fitted a number of Satchshifts over the years any one who has also done it will know that it is enough of a faff to bolt the bits onto the bulkhead with the interior stripped and an empty bay, but it’s really a two person job with the car assembled. To remedy that I welded nuts onto the bulkhead so no spanners are needed – just a hex key

I also don’t know how the shell was used previously as it had the cutout and drilled holes for the upper pushrod gator, but the other holes weren’t drilled which was a bit weird

Progress

All fitted:

Progress

Progress

Rad Mount

Posted: 12th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Finished the slam panel mods and repairs:

Progress

Then fab’d up this out of some aluminium:

Progress

And this out of some zintec:

Progress

That’d be the radiator mounts sorted:

Progress

Finishing Off

Posted: 11th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Did some fabrication. Made this. Side by side comparison with old and new:

Progress

Tidied up the main panel. Lightened and swaged. Those who have looked closely will know the panel is not symmetrical due to the design around the rad. It turns out the aluminium plates are also not positioned equally, so I have redrilled one side to match the other.

Progress

Welded the bottom nut for the bonnet pins on too. just need to weld on the reinforcement piece now.

Progress

Getting Slammed

Posted: 10th November 2017 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v

Stu loaned his spacial tool to me so I could crack on with a part of the project I have been wanting to get to for months.

Progress

The slam panel on the car was not in the best of condition. Nice from afar but far from nice.

Progress

The elements had taken their toll and the central section was looking particularly crusty:

Progress

To be fair, it was just plain dirty with years of road grime and engine oil on it, which did clean off:

Progress

The front face kind of looked okay at a distance

Progress

Unfortunately it had been hand painted at some point with what I assume was Hammerite. This seems to have been done over several parts of the interior too 😥

Progress

So after seeing the adverts on the TV of the latest formula Cillit Bang and how it can clean up your toolbox with a quick dip I bought a load of it and gave it a soak. The results were impressive…

Progress

In fairness if your believe this was done with just chemicals then you need your head checking 😀

The rot had taken it’s toll over the years, the reinforcement behind the bonnet catch was looking quite fragile:

Progress

Time to make a new part

Progress

To be continued…