Progress

Posted: 29th December 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , , ,

With the Christmas festivities out of the way and with a few days before needing to be back to work, it has been an opportunity to press on with the project. Previously I had fitted a Citroen AX single wiper conversion to the car. The initial fitment had just made use of some of the remaining brackets in the scuttle, a drilled hole and a bit of shaped aluminium tube and some long bolts with nuts. It was an incredibly fiddly setup to fit or remove, but crucially the position wasn’t right.

The other downsides of this initial setup was that the rear of bonnet had to be modified to clear the aluminium arm on the motor and then without the wiper arm fitted also touched the windscreen (actually having scratched it during the initial fitting). Fundamentally it just wasn’t very secure. So the plan was to created a permanent means of being able to fit the setup without needing to modify the part in anyway. That way should a replacement be required in future it should be simple to fit another on straight in.

So the remaining brackets were taken out saving half a kilo, although of course two new ones were going to need to go back in. Getting the necessary position required the bottom of the scuttle cutting so that the mechanism could fit. With this chopped it was possible to work out some of the positions and create the first bracket.

Bracket

This was then welded on, but for various reasons it didn’t give the position needed for the wiper. A bit of modification to change the angle and a height increasing spacer welded on gave the correct setup. So with the main bracket fitted, a smaller one was made for the other mounting point and also welded on. Both brackets feature captive nuts to aid simple fitting.

Bracket

AX mechanism fitted:

Bracket

The reason the scuttle had to be chopped! The next job is to box this in to restore the bulkhead. I had also forgotten that when I took one of the initial brackets out of the scuttle, I had managed to tear the bottom of the scuttle panel and that this had then needed a skim of filler. I used today to weld this up and a few other holes to neaten things up. The last job was to remove the cracked from the exhaust tunnel that the left hand steering column support mounts onto, saving another 400g – it’ll need a bit of tidying up further down the road.

Bracket