Engine Mock Ups

Posted: 1st December 2013 by asteriskr in K16 PUG
Tags: , , , ,

Managed to scavenge a couple of hours in the week. Primed the chassis rail leg and then put in the inner wheel arch top. It’s not worth doing the side until I have the engine mount positioned as it give access.

progress

progress

A small repair was needed to the chassis rail:

progress

progress

progress

I also decided to reinforce the chassis rail leg. Hockly has done the same on the gearbox side…

progress

This plate was adapted so that I could get the two chasssis rail tops level. Once it was welded on, I used the open access from the wheel arch side to weld a thin section to the top of the existing chassis rail top to make up the difference in height and give a good 3.5mm thickness to support the new top plate. This was supposed to be 2mm thick, but the stock supplier I used only had 3mm box, so I chopped what was needed out of the 100mm x 100mm section. This job has been on my mind all week and I have been sketching out cross sectional diagrams and such stuff to help work out how I was going to do this. Worked out as planned in the end. There are a few finishing gussets to tie into the chassis rail needed.

progress

Did a bit of shaping and finishing and tacked the top plate in square and level. Then it was time for the engine mount.

So gearbox and bell housing adapter plate bolted up to the block, hooked up to the crane and into the car.

progress

progress

Unfortunately the EW must have been setup to mount in such a way that the gearbox side mount makes the whole thing sit too high. So that will either need major rework or a whole new mount making up.

Found some very long 80mm bolts for the gear box and dropped the height down. It needs a bit more of a drop, but I had run out of motivation and time by this point. At least the bonnet now closes.

progress

On the engine side the C2R2 Max engine mount looks like it is not going to work out. I may modify the original EW mount and reuse that in part. The passenger side wishbone mount also nears a section chopping to accommodate the Sadev box so the job is substantially more complex than originally planned as with all of the above, the rear engine mount also needs major rework…