Getting Ready To Go

Posted: 16th December 2013 by asteriskr in K16 PUG
Tags: , , , ,

In the box of bits that came with the car was this Sadev gearbox mount. Nice find as it allows me to try and get the mounting spot on.

Progress

Well kind of, all the reference points to work out where the original gearbox mount were are long gone. Measurements were needed and with thanks to some of the guys on 106RR I was soon able work out where the mount needed to be. Rummaging in the scrap metal bin revealed some 5mm metal plate which was hacked and drilled appropriately.

The threaded insert for the gearbox mounting bolt on the Sadev plate is angled so that the engine is tilted slightly forward. My thought is that this is so the box clears the wishbone mountings. When Diesel Dave fitted his, he had to chop a big chunk out, but none of the works cars seem to have needed this so I suspect that it’s all down to the positioning. The immediate issue I have is that the reinforced rear engine mount is in the way so this will need trimming to give clearance…

Progress

On the engine side the whole lot needs to move over to the gearbox side by about 8mm. The standard gear box mountings have a 15mm slotted hole to facilitate some adjustment so I reckon that I’ll get away with the move. Just need to be conscious of the drive shafts…

Well there was no way that the box was going in without the passenger side wishbone getting a cut out to give room. The necessary surgery was done tonight and the engine and box can now fit in the correct position – suitably low, square and tilted. Next job is to fabricate up the base that the C2R2 Max engine will sit on…

I’ve been really busy, but I am now officially on leave having finished my job on Friday. On Saturday afternoon my Dad turned up with his new Ifor Williams trailer and the pressure was really on. I managed to get a couple of hours in on Saturday morning and have just pulled a 12 hour stint today and finally have it ready to go on it’s holiday into storage… So here are the updates in pics.

Gear box mount was fucked so bought a new one of Baker BM. Bloody good customer service – it was here in less than 48hrs.

I’ve been really busy, but I am now officially on leave having finished my job on Friday. On Saturday afternoon my Dad turned up with his new Ifor Williams trailer and the pressure was really on. I managed to get a couple of hours in on Saturday morning and have just pulled a 12 hour stint today and finally have it ready to go on it’s holiday into storage… So here are the updates in pics.

Gear box mount was nadgered so I bought a new one of Baker BM. Bloody good customer service – it was here in less than 48hrs.

Progress

The makeshift and temporary gearbox mount was reworked and cleaned up. It’ll do for now, but I will need to get one properly made before the car is used.

Progress

I fabricated up this base for the engine mount, got bored of taking lots of photos, so just cracked on and fitted it with weld in 8mm threaded inserts. Finished the wheel tub (long story about getting it to match the other side) and made a few little tie in gussets. Looks okay I think.

Progress

Progress

Fitted a reinforcing piece to the wishbone mount. Again this will do for now. I will put in some extra reinforcement on the top at some point in future. This maxed out the 13amp supply I was running off. Had to reset the trip switch about 6 times. looking forward to getting a workshop with a proper supply in future…

Progress

Progress

Engine and Sadev box in for final check and all is good. Thank god.

Progress

Lots of cleaning up, tidying and then reassembly

Progress

Tomorrow it’s a case of Dad and I chucking all the other bits on the car (as much as possible), so it’ll be seats and harnesses in, etc. Then off it goes and I won’t be doing anything else on this until I have a new home in the North East.