Something More Creative

Posted: 21st August 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

April. That was when I started work on the drivers side inner wing. For a variety of reasons it’s taken all this time to finish it. There was a lot of rot that was hidden from view, but the good news is it’s all sorted now.

Rallye Repairs

During this time I’ve had chance to think on a few other things. One was that some bits just weren’t worth repairing, specifically the radiator support bar. So I chopped it out:

Rallye Repairs

All of the three under bumper mounting bolts were seized in or had already snapped. It was just crusty with rust.

Rallye Repairs

Although I marked the new bar for all three of the original radiator rubber mounting holes, I only drilled the two for the 16v rad. I’ve also added M6 nuts underneath for the bumper mountings.

Rallye Repairs

Undoing the nuts and bolts for that rad bar once was enough so before I zinc primered it up, I welded some nuts on so now it’s just 4 cap head bolts and a 5mm hex key to remove. Also shaped the end plates up a bit so that they sit within the curves of the original mounting point pressings.

Rallye Repairs

Rallye Repairs