Posts Tagged ‘106’

Update

Posted: 8th May 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Turned card templates into steel:

Rallye photo

End of the bulkhead was a bit ropey so marked it out and then cut a big bigger chasing the rust. This needed doing as you need to be able to weld this into the inner arch repairs.

Rallye photo

Rallye photo

Not too bad under the seam, only the end section nearest the arch needed some new metal in the lower part. Repaired with a patch panel.

Rallye photo

I’ve fabbed up a section to close up the wheel arch (took hours), but before I fit it I thought I’d check out the chassis rail a bit more closely because it didn’t look too clever. Also it gave more space to work in to assess things.

Rallye photo

Worse underneath in places…

Rallye photo

So chopped and drilled quite a bit and confirmed my suspicions. Several holes in the bottom of the rail. So all this came out. Some of which will be kept as a guide for making repair panels.

Rallye photo

This resulted in a large hole.

Rallye photo

There is more to come out but I need to put some new metal back in to try and keep some shape to it all before I chop out anymore.

Chassis Rail Work

Posted: 28th April 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

On the inside of the car in the drivers footwell there was the tell tale sign of the seam being compromised with a hint of rust showing through the seam sealer. In the end chasing that out meant removing pretty much the entire seam. As part of cutting that rot out I did some more cleaning up on the chassis rail and found a hole:

Chassis rail repairs

In chopping the bad bit out of this section of the rail I cut through the small tabbed section in the centre of this photo. There was a spot weld onto it, but this bit was so corroded you couldn’t actually tell that. So a bit of extra careful cutting was needed to allow this replacement tab to be welded back on

Chassis rail repairs

Repair section in, cleaned up and primed

Chassis rail repairs

Next step for this weekend is to convert this CAD into a replacement section for the top of the chassis rail gusset panel.

Chassis rail repairs

Once that’s in I can get a get on with making good the original seam.

Inner Wing Repairs

Posted: 14th April 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Main section of the inner wing now replaced.
Repairs

Some more patching happened.
Repairs

Repairs

The current entertainment is this:
Repairs

Repairs

Had some fun along the way. There are many seized bolts snapped in the captive nuts. Normally you’d be able to get them loose by welding a new nut on – by the time they get cherry red, they should come loose. I sheared three nuts off this one on the slam panel…

Repairs

…then this happened after I gave up and drilled it out.

Repairs

Wing Work

Posted: 31st March 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Strut out and a bit of a tickle with a twisted knot wheel in the grinder to get the underseal off and the work needed is greater than originally thought.

Inner wing

Chop chop! The seam welds on the engine mount made it a bit harder… Needs a bit of a clean up and then some fresh metal can start going back in.

Inner wing

The O/S/F wheel kept going flat so whilst the strut was off I took a look at it and discovered that it’s had a big impact at some point and the inner bead seal has had it so I’ll get a tube put in that so at least moving the chassis around the workshop is a bit easier.

Offside Inner Front Arch

Posted: 26th March 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

So I looked at the offside front inner arch and knew that I couldn’t just leave it as it was. It wasn’t just the aesthetics, it looked structurally bad.

OSF Inner Arch

A little love from some 1mm cutting discs and we’re off…

OSF Inner Arch

Ermmm, there’s three layers of metal where the 16v engine mount has been added on when there should only be two.

OSF Inner Arch

That’d be that extra plate that was welded on then…

OSF Inner Arch

I’m seeing daylight through holes that shouldn’t be there and the bit around the grommet hole (particularly below it) is very ropey. Looks like I’ll be doing some more cutting and making a bigger repair patch…