Posts Tagged ‘brakes’

First Haul Gone

Posted: 21st April 2013 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Parts

With this lot having been collected today there is no going back. All brakes and suspension now are now sold. I have a day off on Tuesday to drop of some bits and put down a deposit on what’s coming next all being well.

New Lines

Posted: 5th March 2013 by asteriskr in Rallye 8v
Tags: , , , , , ,

This is why I’m replacing the brakelines to the rear…

Brakelines

Looking pretty ropey in the recess where the fuel filter lives.

New lines made up out of cunifer:

Brakelines

All fitted tonight, just need to bleed them and get the car back on the deck…

Update

Posted: 12th April 2012 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Two more bottles of argon mix and we’re ready to crack on again.

Over the last week I’ve started working out the runs for the braided lines through the car. So Master cylinder and servo are temporarily back on, bulkhead has been drilled and the rear line run along the tunnel. I’ve started to fab up a mounting for the Wilwood bias valve, but ran out of time again tonight to finish it off and weld it in. I’m going to need some new parts for the lines due to the ATL fuel cell and having to run the lines around it, so will be putting an order in for parts shortly.

I’ve had to start a check list for parts and jobs needed to get the car mobile again as a rolling shell. It’s going to be seeing daylight again soon for the first time in a long time.

8v PITA

Posted: 28th September 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 8v
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

So fitted the new catalyst, adjusted the headlights and having re-bled the rear brakes and ensured the compensator valve was free and moving, I thought that I had sorted the problem with the brakes, so dropped the car back in for the MOT retest on Monday. I found that I had slightly over filled the oil so I also dropped some excess out of the sump, which I knew should also help on the emissions side as it would have been burning a bit more oil than it should have.

The Rallye passed on the emissions re-test, but performed even more badly on the brake test rollers than before falling from 45% efficiency to less than 1%. Also one of the headlights still wasn’t correctly aimed and also wouldn’t adjust to the required level. Bugger.

Came home scratching my head and knowing I was going to find it hard to find time to solve the issues. The headlight turned out to be relatively simple, the adjuster ball had just popped out of its socket inside the light fitting so I reconnected the two and it now adjusts on the electric height adjusters and has proper manually adjustment too with a 6mm hex key.

The rear brakes were more tricky. I stripped both the caliper yokes off, cleaned them up and ensured the pads were free to move. I also checked that the calipers were moving freely on their sliders and that the pistons were sliding okay (which they are apart from needing new dust seals). After all this pushing the brake pedal resulted in no movement at the piston, so I moved back to the compensator valve and immediately found the problem:

Compensator Valve

Compensator Valve

The compensator valve lever plate has sheared off where it is formed around pivot on the pin at the top. The bottom half of the plate has then just fallen off the bottom of the pin. As there is no pressure on the plunger at all there’s no fluid going to the brakes. There is no way of fixing the broken part as the pivot pin is non-removable from the compensator body and also the plunger cannot be removed for the lever plate.

I phoned around various motor factors and tried Peugeot parts but couldn’t get a replacement. In the end I ordered a replacement from 106 parts for £25 less than Peugeot wanted. Once it arrives I’ll get it fitted and the brakes bled again. What are the odds on getting all four brake pipe unions undone and the two bolts holding it to the beam off without drama? Answers on a postcard please.

8v Nearly Ready

Posted: 9th September 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 8v
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Finished the brakes off tonight. Used a Gunson easy bleed system to push the fluid through the lines and it worked a treat.

Brakes Finished

Used Dinitrol cavity wax inside the gusset repair sections, plugged them back up and painted the outsides with Gravitex. Will get some pictures of that posted up – shown here with the POR15 Tie Coat Primer on. Next thing is to top coat in Hammerite white and then put the ARB back on. After that it’s back on wheels.

O/S Chassis Rail Gusset in Tie Coat Primer

Talking of which, I finished painting the Michelin steel wheels centre caps during the week.

Steelie Center Caps

Tonight I used a crow bar to prise to the inserts that were in two of the wheels to suit the VTR wheel bolts. Rear wheels are now on.