Posts Tagged ‘C2’

Engine Painted

Posted: 21st June 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Engine block all painted up. Next job is to drain the oil and then repaint the sump and fit the baffle.

Engine Block Painted

Engine Block Painted

Progress

Posted: 19th June 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

A few months ago I picked up some 3mm steel brackets that were surplus from a refurbishment of our office space. I think that they’re used to mount door closure mechanisms or something similar. Anyway it turns out that they were nearly perfect to make good the repairs to the gearbox mount top plate. Chopped 7mm off each bracket, v-grooved the faces to be joined and welded them up whilst they were clamped down to some thick steel plate to prevent them distorting.

Repair Piece

Once they were welded up, I ground down the welds and then looked to save some weight out of the repair piece. Two 38mm holes later and a tiny bit of grinding gave a good fit. Primed the part up and now just need to v-groove the faces and sort out some further holes for plug welding before welding it on as repair pieces.

Repair Piece

In between primer drying and other work, degreased the engine, dried it off before prepping it with POR15 Metal Ready. Once that had been left to work its magic, it was rinsed off and then left to dry.

Engine Prepped for paint

Engine Prepped for paint

Last thing tonight I gave the block it the first coat of POR15 Engine Enamel. I’ll finish it off with a top coat tomorrow.

JP4

Posted: 16th June 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

I’m waiting for primer to arrive and need to go and get some more argon mix gas before I can do much more on the bodywork so last night I turned my attention to the engine for the first time in over a year. It’s a TU5JP4 which has been rolling roaded at 165 bhp and 141 pounds of torque in it’s last build. It runs off an Omex 600 ECU and the Cat Cams 708s are timed to give top end power delivery. The whole thing has done very little mileage and is generally very clean and tidy. The bottom end was rebuilt professionally and as you can see from the photos, it has a lightly ported head.

TU5JP4

TU5JP4

I have one of the Constella sump baffles still to fit and that will be the next job once I have cleaned the iron block up. By the looks of it the previous owner painted the block, but used an unsuitable paint which has just blistered with heat and then rust has lifted the rest. Yesterday I started cleaning it up and once the rust is off and it is suitably degreased, I’ll be painting it up with the same POR15 engine enamel I used on the gearbox.

In the long run I’m planning to get Sandy Brown to rebuild it as a high compression engine with wilder cams, but one of the immediate jobs after the car is back on the road will be to get it booked in with WGT in Middlewich for a remap. The inlet tract I am going to be using is going to be substantially different to the one used in the original build.