Posts Tagged ‘electrics’

Progress

Posted: 10th March 2012 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Ordered up an FIA specification battery kill switch with Teflon lined T-pull including the resistor.

Once this turned up I was in a position to finish off the scuttle. The top lip needed a couple of sections chopping out and new sections fabricating and putting back in.

Following this I was able to build a panel and reinforcement bracket for the electric kill switch and a eventually the fire extinguisher activator.

Seam welded the panels and following this put the hours in to clean things up and prep it for finishing and then painting it with POR15. After two coats it was time for etch priming. High build primer will go straight onto this.

I fabricated a pair of bumper and wing panel mounting brackets last April. Finally fitted them on this weekend.

One of the things that I have been wanting to do for ages is to replace the tow eyes. The rear one needs to be replaced because the chassis leg it mounts onto is rotten so it’ll need to come off so that it can be tackled and the section replaced. This was going to leave the two eyes odd front and rear so the front was going to need some thought.

Old one off…

Used some cardboard to make a template and then cut it out of plate and tacked it in.

Then worked on the supporting section:

Fabricated it up and welded it all in and trial fitted the tow eye. Went for OMP alloy ones from YB Racing. The mounting has a piece of 5mm steel in it with three M8 tapped threads for the bolts to thread into.

8v Update

Posted: 8th September 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Managed to make it to the small car parts shop around the corner from home before it closed tonight after work and picked up a brake union spanner. A couple of blasts of heat from the blowtorch and a swift thwack and I managed to get the unions undone. Opened up all the bleed nipples and left the system to drain. Finished the work on the seized torx bolts so with both old brake discs and calipers removed I’m ready to fit the new parts.

The new Sony head unit turned up for the interior. I was quite excited about this getting it plugged in, but perhaps foolishly I had hoped that it would just be plug and play. Not in my case as the cabling has been butchered by a previous owner. I may have to dig through my bag of excess wiring that has come out of the 16v to find the connectors and then it’s a case of getting the soldering iron out to repair the cables.

wiring

Cut Out

Posted: 31st December 2010 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

So last back in 2008 when I first had the car I did some tidying up of the inner wing and essentially buried some pretty ropey metal work in filler. Today it was time to reveal the true extent of the rot! On a positive note the repair job had held up pretty well in the interim :rolleyes:

Car

It didn’t look too bad at first, but then I took the underseal off the inside of the arch and the true swiss cheese nature was revealed. Only one thing for it – it’s got to be chopped out. Marked out a cut line back to the good steel, drilled/ground out the spot welds then introduced the angle grinder!

Car

Need to make up a cardboard template next.

The bits arrived from SimTek today for the loom. These are the SureSeal Connectors for the Jenvey TPS and the Lambda and the Bulkhead Connector:

Car

Car

Car

Update

Posted: 22nd August 2010 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , ,

Vehicle Loom

Started working out the loom today. This is the full vehicle loom that came with the new engine. It’s a full GTI engine and interior loom, including an alarm/immobiliser. Not shown is the OMEX engine loom that I have test fitted to the engine in the engine stand. There isn’t much in this picture that will have any use to my setup, but it has confirmed the wire that controls the tacho/rev counter.

I’ve already partially stripped lightened my interior loom, but once I strip the interior out I’ll remove a few more wires and gubbins that are now redundant. I’ve decided that I want to relocate the battery and engine fuseboxes to the interior before I do the other works so that way I can isolate any changes issues resulting from this on the electrics from the engine swap. Need to get a few bits and check a few things out.