Posts Tagged ‘Modification’

Ooops

Posted: 23rd July 2013 by asteriskr in Rallye 8v
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

On the last drive the back end was very noisy but it only became apparent what it was when I took the photos yesterday and had a look underneath. I had not secured the spare wheel..

Progress

Posted: 29th December 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , , ,

With the Christmas festivities out of the way and with a few days before needing to be back to work, it has been an opportunity to press on with the project. Previously I had fitted a Citroen AX single wiper conversion to the car. The initial fitment had just made use of some of the remaining brackets in the scuttle, a drilled hole and a bit of shaped aluminium tube and some long bolts with nuts. It was an incredibly fiddly setup to fit or remove, but crucially the position wasn’t right.

The other downsides of this initial setup was that the rear of bonnet had to be modified to clear the aluminium arm on the motor and then without the wiper arm fitted also touched the windscreen (actually having scratched it during the initial fitting). Fundamentally it just wasn’t very secure. So the plan was to created a permanent means of being able to fit the setup without needing to modify the part in anyway. That way should a replacement be required in future it should be simple to fit another on straight in.

So the remaining brackets were taken out saving half a kilo, although of course two new ones were going to need to go back in. Getting the necessary position required the bottom of the scuttle cutting so that the mechanism could fit. With this chopped it was possible to work out some of the positions and create the first bracket.

Bracket

This was then welded on, but for various reasons it didn’t give the position needed for the wiper. A bit of modification to change the angle and a height increasing spacer welded on gave the correct setup. So with the main bracket fitted, a smaller one was made for the other mounting point and also welded on. Both brackets feature captive nuts to aid simple fitting.

Bracket

AX mechanism fitted:

Bracket

The reason the scuttle had to be chopped! The next job is to box this in to restore the bulkhead. I had also forgotten that when I took one of the initial brackets out of the scuttle, I had managed to tear the bottom of the scuttle panel and that this had then needed a skim of filler. I used today to weld this up and a few other holes to neaten things up. The last job was to remove the cracked from the exhaust tunnel that the left hand steering column support mounts onto, saving another 400g – it’ll need a bit of tidying up further down the road.

Bracket

Back to Welding

Posted: 14th December 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , ,

Well managed an hour tonight, looking forward to getting some quality time on this over the next few weeks. Seeing as I am going down the heated windscreen route and have stripped out the heater matrix and blower, there was another hole to fill in the bulkhead. Stitched the steering rack support whilst I was at it.

Welding

The top of the scuttle is a mess so will need a bit of work. First thing was to chop out this bit

Welding

And welded in a new section. Also welded up the seam where the lower part of the scuttle had been cut. It’ll look better once I’ve cleaned it up with a flap disc in the grinder.

Welding

Modified Top Mounts

Posted: 5th April 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Finally took some pictures of my modified top mounts to facilitate camber adjustment of the AST top mounts. Top mounts are in primer until I get around to repainting the whole engine bay.

Non Power Steering Position.
Non-PAS Position

Power Steering Position.
PAS Position

Busy Day Today

Posted: 13th March 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , ,

Did some more tidying up of welds and then cracked on with something I’ve been meaning to do for a while, reinforce the wishbone mounting points. I had been lucky enough to be given a piece of 3mm angle iron which I’ve chopped and modified into reinforcement brackets. These took ages, but just need to be primered and welded into place now.

Wishbone Mount Reinforcement Plates

I’ve also plated the main support leg for the wishbone mount:

Wishbone Mount Reinforcement