Posts Tagged ‘Preparation’

Bay in Primer

Posted: 18th March 2012 by asteriskr in Painting, Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , ,

After a lot of hours I have the majority of the engine bay in POR15 primer. I’ve left the lowest sections of the bay in a rough state because there still some work to do to bring the shell back to bare metal and treat it properly with POR15.

Engine Bay in Primer

The next job will be to start sitting some of the components and parts back on to make sure no more adjustments or modifications are going to be needed before the final top coats go on. With this bit of work paused, it’s been back into the interior to work on the exhaust tunnel. As I am definitely going to be running the Satchshift, decided that I might as well do a proper job of it. So started to tidy things up.

Exhaust Tunnel

Butt joined in some filler plates and welded in the Satchshift base plate. Needs some tidying up (and some better photos taking), but you get the idea that it should be a bit lighter and neater than a big metal plate bolted on.

Satchshift Base Mount

Photo of the finished box in the scuttle for the wiper motor.

Photo

Spent a bit of time cleaning up some of the recent welds. Here is the blanking plate over where the heater motor air inlet was.

Photo

Next job is to modify the steering column support so that I can get the welding in this area finished off. So time to crack on with the Corsa EPAS conversion. I’m going to put together a guide for the members’ section so no updates on this until it’s finished.

Photo

I also treated myself to a Christmas present so I can join the flash dash team (thanks to Pete for the tip)

Photo

Update

Posted: 30th December 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , ,

Bit more progress today… Fabricated up a box for the scuttle.
Tacked Together

Test fitted
Test Fit

Welded up
Welded Up

Tacked in place after this it was ground down to fit.
Tacked In

I thought that I’d taken some pictures of it all welded up, but seems not. Also put the bonnet back on to show the clearance…

Wiper Clearance

Progress

Posted: 29th December 2011 by asteriskr in Rallye 16v, Welding
Tags: , , , , , , ,

With the Christmas festivities out of the way and with a few days before needing to be back to work, it has been an opportunity to press on with the project. Previously I had fitted a Citroen AX single wiper conversion to the car. The initial fitment had just made use of some of the remaining brackets in the scuttle, a drilled hole and a bit of shaped aluminium tube and some long bolts with nuts. It was an incredibly fiddly setup to fit or remove, but crucially the position wasn’t right.

The other downsides of this initial setup was that the rear of bonnet had to be modified to clear the aluminium arm on the motor and then without the wiper arm fitted also touched the windscreen (actually having scratched it during the initial fitting). Fundamentally it just wasn’t very secure. So the plan was to created a permanent means of being able to fit the setup without needing to modify the part in anyway. That way should a replacement be required in future it should be simple to fit another on straight in.

So the remaining brackets were taken out saving half a kilo, although of course two new ones were going to need to go back in. Getting the necessary position required the bottom of the scuttle cutting so that the mechanism could fit. With this chopped it was possible to work out some of the positions and create the first bracket.

Bracket

This was then welded on, but for various reasons it didn’t give the position needed for the wiper. A bit of modification to change the angle and a height increasing spacer welded on gave the correct setup. So with the main bracket fitted, a smaller one was made for the other mounting point and also welded on. Both brackets feature captive nuts to aid simple fitting.

Bracket

AX mechanism fitted:

Bracket

The reason the scuttle had to be chopped! The next job is to box this in to restore the bulkhead. I had also forgotten that when I took one of the initial brackets out of the scuttle, I had managed to tear the bottom of the scuttle panel and that this had then needed a skim of filler. I used today to weld this up and a few other holes to neaten things up. The last job was to remove the cracked from the exhaust tunnel that the left hand steering column support mounts onto, saving another 400g – it’ll need a bit of tidying up further down the road.

Bracket