Posts Tagged ‘S1’

Inner Wing Repairs

Posted: 14th April 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Main section of the inner wing now replaced.
Repairs

Some more patching happened.
Repairs

Repairs

The current entertainment is this:
Repairs

Repairs

Had some fun along the way. There are many seized bolts snapped in the captive nuts. Normally you’d be able to get them loose by welding a new nut on – by the time they get cherry red, they should come loose. I sheared three nuts off this one on the slam panel…

Repairs

…then this happened after I gave up and drilled it out.

Repairs

Wing Work

Posted: 31st March 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Strut out and a bit of a tickle with a twisted knot wheel in the grinder to get the underseal off and the work needed is greater than originally thought.

Inner wing

Chop chop! The seam welds on the engine mount made it a bit harder… Needs a bit of a clean up and then some fresh metal can start going back in.

Inner wing

The O/S/F wheel kept going flat so whilst the strut was off I took a look at it and discovered that it’s had a big impact at some point and the inner bead seal has had it so I’ll get a tube put in that so at least moving the chassis around the workshop is a bit easier.

Offside Inner Front Arch

Posted: 26th March 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

So I looked at the offside front inner arch and knew that I couldn’t just leave it as it was. It wasn’t just the aesthetics, it looked structurally bad.

OSF Inner Arch

A little love from some 1mm cutting discs and we’re off…

OSF Inner Arch

Ermmm, there’s three layers of metal where the 16v engine mount has been added on when there should only be two.

OSF Inner Arch

That’d be that extra plate that was welded on then…

OSF Inner Arch

I’m seeing daylight through holes that shouldn’t be there and the bit around the grommet hole (particularly below it) is very ropey. Looks like I’ll be doing some more cutting and making a bigger repair patch…

Bonnet and Battery Tray

Posted: 19th March 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 16v
Tags: , , , , , ,

Bonnet mod is finished:

Bonnet Mod

The other job was tidying up the battery tray which had been chopped and was bent outta shape. This is after I put a big adjustable spanner on it and got it pretty much straight:

Battery Tray

Bit of 1.5mm zintec and some shaping in a vice with a BFH, welded, finished and final shaping and it’s done. Another small job off the list.

Battery Tray

Rallye Progress

Posted: 17th March 2017 by asteriskr in 106 Rallye S1 8v
Tags: , , , , , ,

All builds have some degree of ‘acquiring parts’ involved. Mine is no exception.

I now have a full exhaust system thanks to Neb’s mate selling this Janspeed 16v manifold and Mark Yates of 106 Parts doing me a stellar deal on a full 2″ Scorpion Pugsport with the motorsport cat. The manifold might be inline for some ceramic coating in the future, but that’s not a priority.

Manifold

I also picked up a pair of Sparco buckets before Christmas and in the New Year sales managed to get a pair of side mounts for them. There’s some decisions to be made about the interior and how the seats are going to me mounted to go back in, but that’s quite low on the priority list and will have to wait. It’s looking like the tunnel being modded as per my S2 and new seat bars going in.

Aside from a few bits of trim, next on the list are polybushes all round and then I can get the front end built back up. After that it’s a rear beam refurb. As always the availability of funds limits progress on the parts front, but the big thing now is time – making forwards progress on the shell is about having some availability to do so.

Seeing as work around the house and garden shedding means the garage workshop now has a bench top work surface I can see and use for the first time in 9 months it’s time to crack on with the car again. So out with the angle grinders and spark up the MIG, let’s get back to it!

As part of fitting Colin Satchell’s strut brace, there’s a need to mod the inner skin on a standard bonnet to clear the brace. The thing is that by the time you do that the end result has weakened the structure and if your effort is anything like mine it will look gash. So I’m working on tidying that up and putting a bit of strength back in.

Roughed out
bonnet Mods

Fabrication in progress
bonnet Mods

bonnet Mods

bonnet Mods